So I mentioned last week that I had a "sweet" project to share with y'all, and here it is.
We like candy in this house. We usually have a supply. Since October, our candy jar has looked like this:
Seriously. Something had to be done. It was out of control. (And yes, that is a bag of candy corn. Yes, from Halloween. It's unopened.) I couldn't take it anymore, so I finally did something about it.
At Target, I found a glass jar for $8. I didn't take a before picture of it because I forgot. I just rushed headlong into the project. I'm still getting used to this blogging thing and remembering to take pictures of every. single. step. But I'm sure that you are intelligent enough to look at the finished picture and imagine what it looked like before.
I designed the word art on my Silhouette software. My Silhouette rocks. Just sayin'. Then I cut the design out of some vinyl. I used the regular vinyl (not the premium). My Hobby Lobby carries a VERY small selection of colors of non-premium Silhouette vinyl. I am not a huge fan of this color, so I use it for things like stenciling and glass etching.
Once I had my design cut, I removed the insides of the letters because I was using it as a stencil. I secured the vinyl to my jar, like this:
Next came a heavy coat of Armour Etch. I like to just pile it on as thickly as I can. Normally I'd use a little more than this, but I'm starting to run low.
I also leave it on for a little longer. The bottle says to leave it on for about 5 minutes. I like to wait about 10. I don't know if that's really necessary, but it makes me feel like I have a better chance of getting a good result.
After that, I just rinsed off the Armour Etch, removed my stencil, and VOILA! My brand-new candy jar.
It's really hard to take a decent picture of etched glass. Especially one that doesn't show all the little fingerprints. Oh well. Keepin' it real, I guess.
Aah, that's much better. Bye-bye, cheap plastic cauldron. I'll see you in October.
Until next time,