I was sad to take down my cheery spring wreath from my front door. But it was time. To cheer myself up, I quickly made a new wreath. I suppose I'll just have to take this one down in a week or so, but I had so much fun making it that I don't think I'll mind making another more general "summer" wreath to replace it.
I managed to make this wreath entirely with items I had on hand.
To start, I used this tip from the Penny Parlor to make the wreath form. Just pick up a piece of foam tubing from the plumbing department at a home improvement store. Cut it to size, and duct tape the ends together to make a circle. I got my foam tubing at Home Depot for 97 cents. Seriously! And I'll be able to make two wreaths out of it. (This wreath was a little on the large size--if you cut them smaller, you can probably get three wreaths.) Total bargain!
I wrapped the wreath form with red yarn, then cut out a bunch of blue felt diamonds and used sewing pins to stick them to the wreath. Then I used white yarn to make the argyle pattern.
The wreath seemed a little underwhelming just like that. So, inspired by this wreath at Just Sew Sassy, I added a burlap ruffle around the back. Then I made a bunch of felt flowers and a paper "firework" (tutorial here at I Heart Naptime).
Finally, I made a little bunting by cutting burlap into triangles and hot-gluing them to some ribbon. Then I just used a sharpie to write the letters.
Finished! I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
And here is a better view of it on my front door:
Until next time,
I linked up at: